Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Journey: Part 4

The dreaded IVF.

You would have thought the Dr. had given me a week to live when he said our next step was IVF.

I don't like needles.

I don't like paying large sums of money. Especially on something that should come easy.

Have I mentioned I don't like needles?


I'm not a person who turns to medicine for every little ailment. I try to cure things on my own accord.

Case in point:
If I have a headache, I drink either a glass of wine or a cup of coffee (this is based on how early in the day it is). Normally, the headache goes away.

If I cut myself, I just throw some neosporin on it and call it a day.

Meanwhile- when Dr. McDreamy said, "oh, you will pay around $2,500 -$3,000 on meds," I almost fainted.

1. I don't want to spend that much money on meds.
2. Dear LARD.....how many meds will that be??!!!

This is how many:



The pharmacy that filled my prescription mailed my meds in a Depends box. True Story. 

I told H that I don't know if I should laugh or cry. It certainly can't be a good sign? Right?!

The month before IVF, the Dr. wanted me to start prenatals and do a month of birth control.  #counterproductive?


The nurses showed us how to administer the shots and gave all of the instructions to H. 

This is how he held the needle:



I fired him 1.5 seconds later. 

I don't think so buddy. 

I'm not going to paint a rosy picture here.......the shots hurt. They hurt real bad. 
I had to take 2 shots in my stomach and one in the toosh for roughly 2.5 weeks, but, after you become preggers....you have to continue taking the progesterone shot for 10 weeks. 

A low point for me in the IVF process was doing this during the summer. We lived walking distance from the Country Club pool and I didn't want to go. I had bruises all over my stomach.......and my toosh. A whole piece bathing suit would obviously cover up my stomach, but my booty looked BAD. 

So I did the only logical thing I knew to do: Cry and eat ice cream on the couch. 

I cried a lot that summer. I was an emotional train wreck that was slowly derailing. 

I was busy with summer school as I was taking my hardest classes, busy with work, we were trying to buy a house for the anticipation we would get preggers on Round 1, we were keeping IVF a secret, friends were having babies left and right and I felt jaded that I had to do shots 3 times a day. I was a peach. That was bruised. 

Our timeline was the following:

April 27th (my birthday)- Drop cash like a balla' for IVF costs to the Dr. and start taking prenatals

May 2nd- Supression check with Dr. McDreamy

May 7th- Last birth control pill 

May 11th- ultrasound

May 15th- ultrasound

May 17th- ultrasound

May 19th- ultrasound

May 21st- ultrasound

May 23rd- Egg retrieval day!!

May 28th- Transfer Day (pregnant until proven otherwise)

May 29th-30th- Bedrest

June 6th- We are PREGNANT! 

June 7th- Dr. confirmed! Hormone levels are through the roof! 

A week later, we miscarried......Father's Day weekend. 


Thanks for trying at the game of Life. 
Come back later when you have more money to throw in the wind. 



See 'ya tomorrow for Part 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment